Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Drowsy Chaperone


This prompt confuses me a little, but hopefully, I address it correctly. The Drowsy Chaperone contained some interesting choices dealing with sequence and showcased irony beneath all of the comedy. In fact, the play gives off more than just a few laughs. For instance, I think I would consider there to have been bits and pieces of dramatic irony present. Kitty and the gangsters knowing about Feldzieg's plan to stop the wedding, although none of the other characters knew, was an example of that. I think Ms. Tottendale and Underling's relationship contain some irony because I would have never guessed that they would eventually have a desire to wed. By saying I would have never guessed, I mean there are no clues hinting at this in the scrript. I see this as things not being exactly what they appear because he is only shown as a mere servant that tolerates her amnesia throughout the play. 
As far as sequence goes, I think it’s important to create the fluidity of the play. The choice was made to open the show within the show with Ms. Tottendale and Underling discussing Ms. Tottendale ‘s dress that she enjoys. It was an introduction to the wedding through someone’s eyes who was not, initially, getting married. Right after, everyone is singing about the wedding. This hinted that the wedding was a big affair, and many were excited about it. Since it was just shown how excited the guests were about the wedding, I think it was important to show that not everyone was happy about it. To convey this, Feldzieg was speaking to Kitty about his dismay towards Janet leaving her career behind to get married. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I put the same things for irony! I completely agree in it and it was sort of humorous to me that the servant and his "master" got married! So ironic! I did like the choice of sequence throughout the play, especially the beginning now that you emphasize that. It really shows in how excited the guests are when at the end, George will "die" if Janet and Robert are not married immediately. That's crazy! Some people were obviously not happy, as you say, which is very obvious by some of the character's actions and words.

    ReplyDelete